Friday, October 7, 2016

My First Post

Welcome to my blog! I will be using this blog as a part of my graduate course, "Computer Assisted Language Learning." My posts here will consist of reflections on course material and/or analyses of interesting articles or resources pertaining to technology in a language classroom. I hope my blog will be of interest or use to my fellow classmates and any other readers interested in incorporating technology into language education. I currently teach Spanish, but am working towards a degree in teaching English as a Second Language, so my reflections here may pertain to both ESL classrooms and foreign language classrooms.

One resource that caught my eye this week is the New York Times. I've just discovered that the popular news outlet has a "learning" section geared toward teenagers and their teachers. The site, which can be accessed here, features interactive activities to give students a more hands-on relationship with the news and current events. Students are encouraged to share their opinions in a civil discussion forum, respond to polls, and answer questions based on articles. It even includes lesson plans to help teachers use the website in their own classrooms. I think this is a fantastic resource. If there was anything similar to this resource in Spanish, I would immediately want to use it in my classroom. I hope to continue to find great resources like this as I continue with my blogging experience.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great site full of activities for students and lessons for teachers. I like how interactive the activities for students are and how it relates to the news and current events, topics students do not usually keep up with. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great site geared to students. Learning become much more interesting when it involves the use of the Internet to find current event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome site! I never knew they had these activities geared toward students. The articles and questions are great to keep students up to date on current events. I think my favorite is the picture prompts under the writing prompts. This would be perfect for me to use with my younger students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina, this site is really great! I'm surprised I didn't come across it yet via google alerts...thanks for sharing! I'm sure you saw this already but there was a section for ELL and Arts- I'm definitely going to save this to my Diigo so I can access it again in the future!

    ReplyDelete